HHUNY (Health Homes of Upstate NY)
HHUNY (Health Homes of Upstate NY)
What is a Health Home?
Health Homes provide Care Management services to help make sure everyone involved in an individual's care is working well together and sharing information that is important in supporting a person's recovery. A Health Home Care Manager is expected to help coordinate not just medical, mental health, substance abuse services, but the social service needs of the individual as well.
How can the Health Home help me?
The work of the Health Home is about improving not just your physical health, but your mental health and your social health as well. The Health Home assists you to:
- Get involved in activities to improve and keep you healthy
- Obtain housing, legal assistance, food and other essential needs
- Learn more about meaningful social and community activities to include in your life
- Successfully move from one type of care to another
- Make sure everyone involved in your care understands your goals and the care plan created with you to help meet your goals.
Who is Eligible?
- Medicaid recipients, including those who are already members of a Managed Care Organization. Individuals who have both Medicaid and Medicare are also eligible.
- Those eligible need to meet one of the following conditions:
- Two or more chronic health conditions, such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, mental health condition or substance use disorder
- A significant Mental Illness
- Living with HIV/AIDs
- Referrals for HHUNY Care Management services can be made for individuals living in any of the following New York counties: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Cortland, Erie, Genesee, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Onondaga, Ontario, Orleans, Oswego, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, Wayne and Yates.
How is it different from other Care Management?
Health Home Care Managers are trained to consider all of your needs: the needs of the whole person. Therefore you receive support in areas you may not have had assistance with before including housing, legal assistance and becoming involved in social or community activities. The help you receive is driven by your goals and the needs you identify in meeting these goals. Health Home Care Managers also visit you if you go into a hospital to help make sure your needs at the time of discharge are met.
What are the people that I would be working with like?
The Care Management staff members are caring individuals who talk with you about your goals, your needs and what will make your life meaningful. They also know where to go and who to talk with in order to make sure these needs are met as quickly as possible and you have the supports needed for recovery.
Who Do I Speak with if I have Questions?
If you would like to speak with someone about the Health Homes of Upstate New York (HHUNY) Care Management Program, please call 1-855-613-7659 and ask to speak with either Helen Warnick or Tracy Marchese. Both would be happy to answer any questions you might have and make sure you have a copy of the HHUNY Care Management Referral Form.
How do I Sign Up?
For information please call 1-855-613-7659. You will be offered assistance in completing an application and consent form.
What happens to my Primary Care Physician and Counselor?
The Health Home Care Manager shares the Care Plan that you have developed together with your physician, your counselor and other service providers. The Care Plan explains the work being done by the Health Home to support your goals.
What if I am a member of a Managed Care Organization?
Members of Medicaid Managed Care Organizations are eligible to receive Health Home Care Management. Once you complete the application and consent form, HHUNY will contact your Managed Care Organization to let them know.
Who pays for Health Home Services?
Medicaid pays for Care Management services for those who are eligible. It does not cost you anything to enroll.
- Alcohol & Drug Dependency Services
- Chautauqua County Department of Mental Hygiene
- Huther Doyle Memorial Institute
- Onondaga Case Management Services
- New York Care Coordination Program (NYCCP)
- Coordinated Care Services, Inc. (CCSI)
- Beacon Health Strategies